Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Movie Monday - 8/17/2015

It's been a while, but I have been able to watch a couple of movies here and there.

Melissa McCarthy plays a desk-bound CIA analyst in Spy. She has to become a field agent to foil the bad guys. Also starring are Melissa Hart, Jude Law, Rose Byrn, Allison Janney and Bobby Canavale. It was cute.

Serena is set in the south during the Depression. A timber baron is well on his way to building his empire, when he meets the woman he feels is worthy of being his spouse. Never mind that he has fathered a child with the woman who makes him his dinner. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper star. It was good.

In Divergent, the people of a dystopian society must commit to joining one of five factions based on human virtues when they reach adulthood. Divergents, have qualities of more than one of the factions and are feared by the one jockeying for control. Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ashley Judd and Kate Winslet star in this great adaptation of the novel by the same name. It was good.

MK out.

Friday, July 31, 2015

FO Friday - 7/31/2015

In the nick of time, Camp Loopy Project Two Fabric is finished! 


For this challenge, we had to do a little appliqué or embroidery someplace on the project. I chose to appliqué a heart on a scrappy strip I used to piece the backing.


Pattern: Strip Tango
Fabrics: several from the Windham Fabrics Wildflower collection, Riley Blake Blue Dots from Girl Crazy and Pinwheels from Fancy Free.

MK out.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

WIP Wednesday - 7/22/2015

The Penny Candy Tee is coming right along:


I never tire of views such as this one:


MK out.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Change of Plans...

Remember my Penny Candy Tee and how it looked on 6/28 when I restarted it? Here's a picture in case you forgot:


Something just hasn't felt right about it. I finally decided to rip out that 2-stitch I-cord cast on and I redid it in the darker grey color.


I just wasn't able to get my head wrapped around that teal color; so, it's going to be a three color sweater, instead of four. I think it will be more versatile that way. 

Now I can use that whole skein of teal for something else.

MK out.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday Night Fun

So, one of the challenge requirements for the July fabric project is to have a little appliqué or embroidery worked into it.

OMG! 

It's not that I have never appliquéd or embroidered before, but I've been a little bit apprehensive about that part. The quilt top got put together a week ago People!


I was originally thinking I would appliqué something in one of the rectangles. I had so much fun sewing them together, that I forgot to save one to put on the appliqué first; so, I thought I'd figure out something to put on the back.  I've spent the whole last week fretting about it.

Well, today I decided I was going to do a little scrappy something and incorporate an appliqué.


I think I will like it.

MK out.

Friday, July 10, 2015

FO Friday - 7/10/2015

I finished the Camp Loopy July yarn project. Yay!


Pattern: SUMMERTIME Shawl by Michele C Meadows
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash
Comments:  This project worked up quickly - all garter stitch; so, very relaxing to knit. If I were to make it again, and likely I will, I think it would look super in semisolid colors. 

MK out.

Friday, July 3, 2015

FO Friday - 7/3/2015

I cannot believe that I've already posted pictures of my latest FO all OVER the interwebs and almost forgot to post them here!!! Where's my head?

Here's the table runner I made for the June Camp Loopy fabric challenge:


Pattern: I Spy an African Beach (my own design)
Fabric: Moda Sun Drenched Batiks in Leaf, Sky and Gold, Moda Dreamcatcher Batiks in Ocean, and Timeless Treasures Tonga Batiks in Lime and Turquoise.

Here's the inspiration picture:


Comments: I had originally purchased the  lime for the backing and the turquoise for the binding. This project had no outline - I made each decision as I came to each step. 

After I put the pinwheel blocks together, I decided I should add sashing and I liked the lime; so, I used some of that. 


Then, I decided to make a border and wanted to make it with diagonal strips with the other fabrics, but added some of the turquoise for that.


There was one fabric that I didn't use anywhere else; so, I made the binding with that.


I made a scrappy backing since I robbed some of the lime for the front.


I quilted by stitching in the ditch.


What I learned: I made my own binding! I have quilted very small projects in the past. I even have a wall hanging that has been a WIP for the last twenty years. (You read that right.)  I have machine pieced it and am about hallway done with the hand quilting. Anyway...in the past, I've used purchased binding; so, now I feel really smart that I can make my own. :)

MK out.